"upgrade" vs "dist-upgrade"

The names of the apt commands "upgrade" and
"dist-upgrade" sound like they differ according
to whether or not the updating is within the
current distribution (e.g., potato), or from
one distribution to another (e.g., potato to
woody).  I've seen postings in which this view
was stated, and not challanged in subsequent
postings.

But my reading of the man page gives me a
different impression.  It sounds to me
like the question of whether it is an updating
within a distribution, or to a new distribution,
is determined by what's in the sources.list file.
I.e., if your current distribution is potato, and
if you only list "stable" in your sources.list
(and specifying a web address, not a cd), then
you will just get the latest of potato, regardless
of whether the command is "upgrade" or "dist-upgrade".
The only difference in those two cases would be that
"dist-upgrade" does more checking of dependences.

Is my interpretation correct, or have I misunderstood
the man page?  (My main concern is that I don't want to
accidentally upgrade to woody).

	Mike Fontenot
	mlfasf@home.com