Re: changing to Debian from Mandrake

hallstevenson@pop.mindspring.com writes:

> I'll have to find a package that has a new dependency vs what the old, installed package has and try it...
>
> If 'upgrade' doesn't do this, you will end up with a non-working program. Don't you agree ??

As I said, if a currently installed package requires a package that
isn't currently installed before it can be upgraded, that package is
"kept back" I.e. supposing there are 2 packages on the system that have
new versions but require new dependencies that aren't currently
installed on said system, after running apt-get upgrade apt will say "0
packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 2 not upgraded and
proceed to do nothing. You will then have to upgrade the packages
separately and resolve dependencies (I suppose a dist-upgrade would also
accomplish that).