Re: Debian as multimedia system - startup and shutdown

On Tue, Oct 30, 2001 at 06:29:49PM +0200, Meir Kriheli wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm setting up a computer as a multimedia center using Debian (Sid).
>
> The machine is connected to the TV for display and to the receiver for
> sound.  I have a wireless keyboard/mouse to access it. It'll serve as
> DVD/CD/MP3/Ogg player.
>
> I have no problem setting it up and using it, but the rest of the house
> hold (actually my wife and our 2 dogs :-) have problems starting/shutting
> it down.
>
> Is there a way to log in and start a X session (I prefer not to use
> KDM/GDM etc. I know I can use them-at least KDM), and when exiting the
> session shutdown the machine ?

I'm not clear why you prefer not to use kdm, as it does precisely what you
want, except for the automatically shutting down bit).  You can configure
it to automatically log into X without passwords, which sounds like
precisely what you want.

As far as training your two dogs to turn on and off the computer, I think
you'd have to buy some special hardware with a large on/off button.  Maybe
you could hack one of those apple USB mice, in which the whole mouse is one
large button?  :)
--
David Roundy
http://civet.berkeley.edu/droundy/