kernel-package fails on kernel 2.4.13 (on potato)

Hello.

I was trying to compile kernel 2.4.13 on a potato box (with Adrian Bunk's
packages installed), and ran into this problem:

nice fakeroot make-kpkg --revision=ext3 kernel-image modules-image
dpkg: warning, architecture `i386-none' not in remapping table
 (...)
 Makefile:242: arch/i386-none/Makefile: No such file or directory
 make[1]: *** No rule to make target `arch/i386-none/Makefile'.  Stop.

Looks like kernel-package is setting the architecture to "i386-none"... That
seems to be in the following code that make-kpkg generates in debian/rules:

# The default architecture (all if architecture independent)
ifdef ARCH
  architecture:=$(ARCH)
  ifndef CROSS_COMPILE
    KERNEL_CROSS:=$(ARCH)-linux-
  else
    KERNEL_CROSS:=$(CROSS_COMPILE)-
  endif
else
  architecture:=$(shell CC=$(HOSTCC) dpkg --print-architecture)
endif

KERNEL_ARCH:=$(architecture)

But:

~$ CC=$(HOSTCC) dpkg --print-architecture
bash: HOSTCC: command not found
dpkg: warning, architecture `i386-none' not in remapping table
i386-none

So... Did anyone else have such a problem? I'll change debian/rules manually, but
I also would like to know if I should file a bug report (or if I did something
wrong here).

(I checked the BTS and did a search in lists.debian.org and found nothing...)

J.

--
Jeronimo Pellegrini
jeronimo@bigbross.com