installing on local hard drive, without boot floppies ?

Hello,

I want to install on a local drive, without rebooting with boot floppies
(I want to keep the system running, while installing to a new drive). I
can use debootstrap to set up a chroot, but how can I find out what
other things I need to do, which would have been done by boot-floppies,
but won't be now? I have a good idea of all the ... "important" stuff,
but am afraid I will miss something.

If boot-floppies source was laid out really nicely, it probably would
have been easy to find out what I'd be missing. But unless I miss
something, it is a bit too complex for me to go to the trouble of
finding out that way. So out of interest, will the new installer that is
being worked on, make alternative methods of install like this a lot
easier? (As it is still being, "designed" in some ways, maybe this is
something that can be kept in mind if it is not already ...)

Thanks,
Hugo van der Merwe