Re: changing to Debian from Mandrake

Ross Burton wrote:

> >    Example: gnucash.
>
> That is the only example of a package which is not the latest release in
> unstable I can think of.  Personally I don't know why it is so delayed,
> maybe the maintainer is on a break

Honeymoon, we've been told.

> As far as I recall, I've never been left with a system broken due to
> config files after a dist-upgrade.  Rarely a package is updated which
> turns out to be broken (this happened to PAM recently, which broken
> logins!),

Hardly recently; it was several months ago, as I recall. February or
March, I think. And we've had no problems of similar magnitude since
then. The nastiest problem I've seen recently was the broken binutils
that couldn't build kernels, which also was fixed quickly.

> but these issues are fixed quickly

The broken PAM package was fixed within a few hours, as I recall, though
due to the way the package repository works, you had to download it
manually from incoming.debian.org if you didn't want to wait for the
next daily update.

Craig