Slow inital connect to WU-FTP, SAMBA, TELNET

I've got a server at home (unstable) with a second NIC for connection to a
192.168 network via a small hub.  Whenever I try to telnet or ftp to the
server from the 192.168 network (my laptop connection) it takes mulitple
attempts to establish the first connection, and then I can open a second and
third telnet session in the blink of an eye!

I've just been putting up with it at home, but now I'm seeing the same thing
here at work.  We just did some network isolation changes and are seeing the
same initial connection slowdown problems with ftp, telnet, and samba
(WU-FTP 2.6 & 2.6.1).  Is some areas of the client network the inital
connection will take about 20 seconds, some areas over a minute, other areas
it just doesn't happen.

On a differen test server I replaced WU-FTP with BSD-FTP and the ftp
connections are then fast again.

Except for getting rid of WU (samba and telnet are still a problem), what
are some possible areas to look at to solve this?  Before, when at home, it
was just me.  Now I have a bunch of users complaining, so a solution must be
found (I just hate whiny users).

Any ideas?

-Craig

(I have duplicated this on three different unstable installs, and the main
host is potato)