Re: PATH variable--where is it?

On Mon, 29 Oct 2001, Gary Turner wrote:

> I give up.  This is making me nuts.  Where is the path variable stored?
> I assumed that it would show up in .bashrc or .bash_profile.  It's not
> there.  I can export path= for that session on that console, but I can't
(snip)

>From the bash manpage,

       When  bash is invoked as an interactive login shell, or as
       a non-interactive shell with the --login option, it  first
       reads and executes commands from the file /etc/profile, if
       that file exists.  After reading that file, it  looks  for
       ~/.bash_profile,  ~/.bash_login,  and  ~/.profile, in that
       order, and reads and executes commands from the first  one
       that  exists  and is readable.

The manpage for whatever shell you are using should reveal what files it
reads, hence where its path is coming from.

-- Mark