PATH variable--where is it?

I give up.  This is making me nuts.  Where is the path variable stored?
I assumed that it would show up in .bashrc or .bash_profile.  It's not
there.  I can export path= for that session on that console, but I can't
locate the global.  echo $PATH or env shows me the value just fine.
I've pored over the literature enough to know that damn near everything
from shell to Java to Python and points in between use one path variable
or another, but other than the export command I don't know how to change
them.

I'm just a poor illiterate dos/win user trying to step up.  I just can't
find autoexec.bat ha.

gt