Re: Optimizing FTP

Casper Gielen wrote:

> Hi there,
> I'm maintaining an FTP server however I'm not very pleased with the
> performance. It's a 100Mbit connection (half duplex) to a PIII-500
> with 400 MB RAM and 240G software RAID1 running glftpd on a 2.4.13
> kernel. top doesn't reveal any obvious problems, the processor is mostly
> idle, most memory is used as cache, the load is well below 1 and the
> network is far from saturated.

Have you checked what the disk/software RAID throughput is ? I have
frequently seen that using a kernel without support for the proper
chipset causes disk throughput for a disk to be in the 2-3MB/sec range
instead of the 10-20-30MB/sec I get otherwise (depending on the type
of disk).

Perhaps you could try transfering the same file from the server a
number of times and see if the throughput for the first run is much
slower than the subsequent ones.

Happy hacking,

\Gandalf