Re: Optimizing FTP

Casper Gielen said:
> Hi there,
> I'm maintaining an FTP server however I'm not very pleased with the
> performance. It's a 100Mbit connection (half duplex) to a PIII-500
> with 400 MB RAM and 240G software RAID1 running glftpd on a 2.4.13
> kernel. top doesn't reveal any obvious problems, the processor is
> mostly idle, most memory is used as cache, the load is well below 1
> and the network is far from saturated.
> Does anyone have some (pointers to) good advice/documentation on
> optimizing FTP and/or an ftp benchmark.

first thing i'd do is install another ftpd, and see if the
performance problems are still there. if they are specify
the kind of NIC you have, and specify if your testing this
over a LAN or over a remote connection. or if your supporting
multiple connections or what. i haven't personally run a ftpd
on that kind of bandwidth in a long time, and when i did, the
bottleneck was either the remote end or the local disks.

also try to put/get files to another local ftp server on
with your server as the client and see if theres any difference.

and of course, next time specify what exactly about the performance
are you not happy about and what are you expecting out of the
system. if the performance problems go away with proftpd or
wuftpd or something then the problem is in glftpd somewhere.

the ftp/bandwidth test i do most often is downloading a full
kernel from ftp.kernel.org (maybe another mirror is faster for
you, kernel.org is only 10 hops/61ms from my 1meg dsl).
course that doesn't test outbound bandwidth which i test by
uploading stuff to one of my t1s, i have a t1 thats about 9 hops/48ms
from my dsl(the routing on my dsl rules!)
nate