Japanese input method without Japanese interface?

Hi.  I'm trying to set up X so that I can input Japanese
characters (kanji, etc.) in applications like Mozilla, without
the necessity to have the interface itself in Japanese.

To this end, I used `set-language-env' from the `language-env'
package to set up a Japanese environment in .Xresources and
.xsession using kinput2 and canna.  The result (as expected) was
that I could now input kanji with shift+space, but the interface
was now in Japanese as well.

To get the interface back to English, I then modified .xsession
so that LANG is unset after the kinput2 daemon is started.
Unfortunately, this also had the effect of disabling Japanese
input; shift+space doesn't do anything anymore.

Is there a way to get an English interface with the ability to
input Japanese characters?

Thanks,

Ben.

--
Peter Seebach on managing engineers:
"It's like herding cats, only most of the engineers are already