Get vesafb to work (was: nvidia-drivers in testing)

"Daniel T. Chen" <chenda@cs.unc.edu> writes:

> Rumours are that vesafb works just fine, though.

Ok, I compiled a new kernel 2.4.12, disable rivafb and enable
vesafb. All problems with the new nvidia-drivers seems to be gone.

But I cannot get the vesafb to work.

After booting there is no Tux-Logo anymore and when I try to fbset
something I get the error: cannot open /dev/fb0

which is there
ls -l
crw--w--w-    1 root     tty       29,   0 30. Nov 2000  /dev/fb0

Do I miss something? This is my .config

#
# Frame-buffer support
#
CONFIG_FB=y
CONFIG_DUMMY_CONSOLE=y
# CONFIG_FB_RIVA is not set
# CONFIG_FB_CLGEN is not set
# CONFIG_FB_PM2 is not set
# CONFIG_FB_CYBER2000 is not set
CONFIG_FB_VESA=y
# CONFIG_FB_VGA16 is not set
# CONFIG_FB_HGA is not set
CONFIG_VIDEO_SELECT=y
# CONFIG_FB_MATROX is not set
# CONFIG_FB_ATY is not set
# CONFIG_FB_RADEON is not set
# CONFIG_FB_ATY128 is not set
# CONFIG_FB_SIS is not set
# CONFIG_FB_3DFX is not set
# CONFIG_FB_VOODOO1 is not set
# CONFIG_FB_VIRTUAL is not set
# CONFIG_FBCON_ADVANCED is not set
CONFIG_FBCON_CFB8=y
CONFIG_FBCON_CFB16=y
CONFIG_FBCON_CFB24=y
CONFIG_FBCON_CFB32=y
# CONFIG_FBCON_FONTWIDTH8_ONLY is not set
# CONFIG_FBCON_FONTS is not set
CONFIG_FONT_8x8=y
CONFIG_FONT_8x16=y

Ciao!
juh

--
Umzingelt von Nazis oder Ganz schön schizo
http://www.sudelbuch.de/2001/20010318.html