No boot after reinstall

I've had to reinstall Win98 on my notebook (hda1
1800MB) which had Debin unstable (hda3 2500 MB). Lilo
was wiped of the MBR, but my attempt to reinstall it
with  my Potato CDs failed (and I've done this before
and it worked then). It complained about being above
the 1024 cilinder. Might this be because the CDs are
Potato and the installed version is Sid?

Loadlin is no solution as coldbooting Debian leaves my
touchpad unusable. Any other solution or bootloader
who can recognize both hda1 and hda3 and boot both
Win98 and Debian? Or take the easy way and just
reinstall Debian? Thanks for the advice.

Hans