X 4.x packages in sid

Installation (and reinstallation and reinstallation) of xfonts packages
result in empty /etc/X11/fonts/* directories.  They should contain the
"packages.alias" files.  I have only been able to get vaguely usable fonts
by copying these files from another machine and running update-fonts-alias
manually.

I have no rgb.txt file, no SecurityPolicy file, nothing in Xsession.d/,
and who knows what else.

Are these packages intended to be built only on systems that already have
X installed?  Is there some magical order for installing them that will
get them to work correctly?  Others have had success with removal and
reinstallation, but I keep ending up with lots of missing files.

Is this a problem with the X packages, or do sid packages require reiserfs
or something like that that could be completely fouling up my package
installs?

Rikki Hall