Re: allowing root X apps

On Sun, 28 Oct 2001 22:10:12 -0500, Justin R. Miller wrote:

> What is the best, most secure way to allow root to run X-based apps
> while I'm logged in as my non-privileged user?  I've tried xhost
> +localhost and that does not seem to do the trick.

if you're not worried about local users hijacking your X sessions, then
you can change the line in /etc/X11/xdm/xdm-config:

DisplayManager*authorize:	true

if you make that false, then users on machines that XDM manages can connect to X sessions
on any managed machine without messing with xhost or xauth; users on untrusted
machines will still have to be authorized.  This has the benefit of being
extremely simple and requiring no intervention on your part to work.

if this isn't secure enough, which it probably isn't in an untrusted
multi-user environment, i suggest you read up on xauth, `man xauth'
is a good place to start.