Re: allowing root X apps

On Sun, Oct 28, 2001 at 10:08:48PM -0500, Justin R. Miller wrote:
> What is the best, most secure way to allow root to run X-based apps
> while I'm logged in as my non-privileged user?  I've tried xhost
> +localhost and that does not seem to do the trick.

This is what I do, which consistently works for me. I have the
following code in /root/.bashrc:

    case "`tty`" in
        /dev/pts/[0-9])
            if [ "X$LOGNAME" != "Xroot" ]; then
                xauth -f /root/.Xauthority merge /home/$LOGNAME/.Xauthority
            fi
            ;;
    esac

--
John Patton                      patton66@home.com

"Do well and you will have no need for ancestors." -Voltaire