Re: Microsoft bullies again

on Mon, Oct 29, 2001 at 02:32:54AM +0800, csj (csj@mindgate.net) wrote:
> On Monday 29 October 2001 01:38, Bud Rogers wrote:
> > On Friday 26 October 2001 19:41 pm, Antonio Rodriguez wrote:
> > > Thought may be interesting for the debian community:
> > > NEW YORK (October 26, 2001 4:29 p.m. EDT) - Microsoft's premiere
> > > Web portal, MSN.com, denied access to millions of people who use
> > > alternative browser software such as Opera and told them to get
> > > Microsoft's products instead.
> > > http://www.nandotimes.com/technology/story/158273p-1497208c.html
> >
> > First they ignore you.  Then they laugh at you.  Then they fight you,
> > and then you win.
>
> What's wrong with Microsoft banning certain users from their OWN site?
> It's like complaining to a fancy restaurant that your shorts are okay
> despite the dress code. Maybe you could just run IE under wine.

Look up the definitions of "monopoly" and "anti trust" some time.
Microsoft isn't just any company.

This isn't comperable to a "shorts or slacks" dress code issue.
And last I checked, MSIE didn't run under WINE (recent versions of
each).

Your analogy would be more apropos if this was _the_ power-lunch
restaurant in town, where all significant social, business, and
political decisions were made, and you weren't allowed in unless your
blazer had a lable indicating it was made by the owners of that
restaurant, who also happened to run the major business in town, owned
the politicians, controlled the major banks, and called the shots for
significant cultural institutions (radio stations, museums, theaters).
Blazers from another source would be turned away, based on the contents
of the label, despite being perfectly suited from a sartorial
perspective.

The technical aspects of this façade have been more than adequately
addressed in the press -- Microsoft has lied both about the relative
standards compliance of blocked browsers, and their own site.  SOP.

...and this is rather off topic to boot.

Peace.