Re: LILO disaster: L 01 01 01 ...

Hi,

On Sun, 28 Oct 2001, Andreas Gartus wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I have two HD's. Although "hdb" (40GB) is not recognised by the BIOS,
> booting Debian 2.2 on "hdb" worked fine with LILO on the MBR of "hda".
> But yesterday I installed RedHat 7.2 on a spare partition of "hdb" and
> now LILO stopps with "L 01 01 01 ..."!

> However, I can reach my Debian system with a boot floppy - everything is
> still there. But it's impossible to boot from the HD!
>
>From the lilo manual:
0x01   "Illegal command". This shouldn't happen, but if it does, it may
    indicate an attempt to access a disk which is not supported by the
    BIOS. See also "Warning: BIOS drive 0x<number> may not be accessible"
    in section "Warnings".

  Warning: BIOS drive 0x<number> may not be accessible
     Because most BIOS versions only support two floppies and two hard
    disks, files located on additional disks may be inaccessible. This
    warning indicates that some kernels or even the whole system may be
    unbootable.

This is not much of a help I guess, especially when it worked before. I
should try to disconnect the hdb drive and install lilo again on hda and
make sure the mbr of hdb is clean. From my experience with RedHat I know
that it sometimes wants to install lilo on /dev/hdb3, if you installed it
there. Perhaps that is confusing your lilo and bios?

Greetz,
Sebastiaan