Re: video card detection

On Fri, 26 Oct 2001, Cary Cherng wrote:

> These are my first attempt at installing Debian. Both my laptop and
> pc seem to have video cards that cannot be identified. Is this
> normal or am I missing something?

maybe.

What point in the install are you up to?

The base installation should complete without asking anything about your
video cards.

Then when you set up X, you should just be able to select your card from
a list of those supported. Alternatively wander to www.xfree86.org and
find out what driver your card uses and just use that one.

(to install X just install something like xterm, which depends on
everything else, then run XF86Setup (under potato that is).)

cheers

dc

But, with very few exceptions, it is the composers of
the tunes, not the writers of the words, which have
made our English hymns famous.  The average Englishman
will happily sing any words to a good tune.

                                        Reginald Frary
                               "Don't upset the choir"

David Purton

http://www.chariot.net.au/~dcpurton/