Re: "Daddy, something's wrong with the filesystem..."

Joanne Hunter wrote:
> So, in short, I seem to have this problem with free space reporting on my
> /usr partition. It's not currently a blocking problem, but it's slightly
> disturbing. I don't know if this is a bug in df, or a bug in my filesystem.
> Enlightenment (not the WM!) on this matter would be much appreciated, as I
> get extremely paranoid when things like this seem to mystically happen. Is
> my /usr partition about to explode? Or am I the victim of a vicious bug in
> fileutils?

Your partition is probably full up to the point where it's eating into
the reserved space. That space does not show up in df. For example:

root@silk:/home/joey>tune2fs -m 50 /dev/hda1
tune2fs 1.25 (20-Sep-2001)
Setting reserved blocks percentage to 50 (172650 blocks)
root@silk:/home/joey>df /
/dev/hda1             1.3G  1.1G     0 100% /
root@silk:/home/joey>tune2fs -m 0 /dev/hda1
tune2fs 1.25 (20-Sep-2001)
Setting reserved blocks percentage to 0 (0 blocks)
root@silk:/home/joey>df
/dev/hda1             1.3G  1.1G  214M  84% /

Reserved blocks are of questionable value for a partition like /usr
that only root normally writes to. You might want to turn it off or set it
to a lower percentage than the default (5% I think).

--
see shy jo