Re: "Daddy, something's wrong with the filesystem..."

> This is how I reported it to IRC:
> <Joanne> /dev/hda7               963911    923505         0 100% /usr <--
> from earlier.
> <Joanne> Then I try "apt-get install wmmatrix" (little wm applet) just as a
> test.
> <Joanne> Install is successful.
> <Joanne> /dev/hda7               963911    923613         0 100% /usr
> <Joanne> Note how the number of used blocks has changed.
>
> So. Attempt to restart kernel compile. Make clean, make dep, make bzImage
> modules modules_install. No problems or reports of "no more space". Used
> block count increases. Available block count always stays zero. Et cetera,
> et cetera. New kernel is all compiled.
>
> *whimper*
I'd go with reserved blocks.  e2fs sets aside 5% by default, if i remember
right.  So you've filled up past that 5%, since you're root, you get to
get away with that.  User processes will see it as full, but root still
has.. oh.. about 40 meg to play with.

if you don't need your apt cache of downloaded stuff, apt-get clean ;
apt-get autoclean has been good for me to free up space.

Mike