Re: pipe help

I do almost exactly this task using a small perl script:

#!/usr/local/bin/perl

`/bin/date`;
`traceroute imap.unc.edu`;

__END__

and have a crontab entry running the script >> /var/log/pinglog
at the appropriate times.

Hope this helps.

Andrew J Perrin - andrew_perrin@unc.edu - http://www.unc.edu/~aperrin
      269 Hamilton Hall, CB#3210, Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3210 USA