Re: "Daddy, something's wrong with the filesystem..."

In article <[🔎] 20011026161756.7955592e.jrhunter@penguin.menagerie.tf>
jrhunter@penguin.menagerie.tf writes:
>(Herein is an apparent problem with free space reporting. Presented in
>"Rambling Story" format for the author's and possibly even your
>entertainment.)
[ramble omitted]

It's not a bug, it's just that you are down to the reserved space on
your /usr partition.  Most unix filesystems (e2fs included) don't
allow non-root users to fill the last few percent of a partition's
space.  The filesystem is designed such that filling it completely
will make file access much slower.  Berkeley FFS used to reserve 10%,
but 2% or 3% is more common nowdays.  See the tune2fs man page for how
to change this ammount.

Go ahead and use this space if you need to, but if your system
performance degrades you know what is causing it.

--
Blars Blarson 					blarson@blars.org
				http://www.blars.org/blars.html