Xine-ui - no sound

The title just about says it all, I guess.  I installed the new xine-ui
and libxine0 out of sid, and I no longer get sound.  From the man page:
xine -A esd *should* tell it to use esd as the audio, but it fails with
an error message:
load_plugins: audio output plugin
/usr/lib/xine/plugins/xineplug_ao_out_alsa.so failed to link:
/usr/lib/xine/plugins/xineplug_ao_out_alsa.so: undefined symbol:
snd_mixer_selem_is_active
main: the specified audio driver <esd> failed
Which I just do not get.  Suggestions?
woody, with some sid packages, kernel 2.4.13-ac3.  All other sound works
fine.
ii  libxine-dev    0.9.2-3        the xine video player library,
development p
ii  libxine0       0.9.2-3        the xine video player library, binary
files
ii  xine-ui        0.9.2-3        the xine video player, user interface

Sorry about the long lines and message.  Just trying to cover all the
bases.
TIA,
Steve
--
If you go out of your mind, do it quietly, so as not to disturb those
around you.