how to switch drives around with LILO

I am trying to isolate some disk problems, which may be in the disks
or the motherboard.  It would be helpful if I switched cables so the
disks connected to the IDE 0 connector on the motherboard go into #1,
and vice versa.

The problem is that this completely throws off my drive mappings for
LILO, wired in the kernel (I think they are wired in) and /etc/fstab.
For example, all /hda become /hdc.

An additional wrinkle is that lilo.conf includes
	append="hdc=ide-scsi"
because hdc is an ATAPI CD-Writer.

What's the best way to handle this?

My boot process starts with the NT loader, which I then point at an
image of the Linux boot sector.  It would be easy to add another boot
sector image.