Aliasing a NIC

Hello,

Once upon a time I knew how to make linux use multiple IP addresses for one
ethernet NIC card.  I believe the format looked like "eth0:0" but I can't
remember the rest of it.  Can someone point me to a HOW-TO or man reference?
I did it before on a Red Hat box using linuxconfig but now I'm trying to do
it on a Debian woody box running a 2.4.10 kernel.  I need to know what files
to edit and what the format of the configuration.

Thanks,

John Purser