Re: using /home with potato & woody

On Sat, 2001-10-27 at 02:37, Vittorio wrote:
> In my laptop I've three partitions
> hda1= Debian Potato all directories but /home
> hda2= /home currently referring to Potato
> hda3= Woody all in this partition
>
> Now I'd like to refer both potato and woody to the same /home
> partition (hda2) and of course to the same user victor (that's me!).
>
> Is that possible?

All you'd need to do is symlink to the home partition's files. However I
strongly suspect this could be a recipe for data corruption. Imagine all
the programs you access that would store data in the same place. However
you will have one version new and one version old. Any data formats that
have been upgraded between the two versions may not work with the old
version of the program--or worse, the old version may silently corrupt
the new data format.

Perhaps you have a good reason for keeping Potato (I'd just use the
partition for something else like backing up the Woody partition).

Regards,
Adam