run-parts and valid filenames

Why does run-parts not like dots in filenames?

I'm embarrassed to admit I just spent over half an hour wrangling with the
program. Every time I had it run through a directory, it kept skipping a
particular file. The filename contained a dot.

Now, the manpage for run-parts clearly states that it will only run
filenames consisting of letters, numbers, underscores and hyphens, and
that invalid names will be silently skipped. I read that passage a couple
of times and didn't notice either of those things. (It is the middle of
the night, but still...)

So, having done that, I'm curious: why does run-parts have such a narrow
view of a "valid filename". It's there for a reason, else why write the
validation code?

I'm just curious, but it would be nice to know.

Sincerely,
Aaron

--
Aaron Hall             :  C'mon, Netscape! I can whistle the page in
aaron@vitaphone.net    :  Morse faster than you're fetching it!

Macintosh/UNIX Weenie, Network Flack, and...eh, whatever.