Re: Trouble installing Potato on Dell Poweredge 2450

Peter Hutnick wrote:

> Stuart Allen said:
> > At 11:43 24/10/2001 +1000, Stuart Allen wrote:
> >>I am having trouble installing Potato on a Dell Poweredge 2450. The
> >>problem appears to be the Perc 2/DC RAID controller. When booting off the
> >>rescue floppy, the system hangs after the following three lines of output:
> >>
> >>megaraid: v1.11 (Aug 23, 2000)
> >>megaraid: found 0x8086 : 0x1960:idx 0:bus 0:slot 2:func 1
> >>scsi2: Found MegaRAID controller at 0xe0004008, IRQ: 11
> >
> > I have discovered that if I use an old set of boot floppies that I have had
> >  lying around for ages, the install proceeds smoothly through to the first
> > reboot. I can partition the drives, install the base etc. The machine still
> >  hangs after the above three lines when booting from the hardrive though.
> > Does anyone have any thoughts on why the install program can read and write
> >  to the drives fine, but the installed system can't?

Are you sure the right kernel gets in place properly?  I've never used
the ami-based dell, but you can get drivers (newest seems to be 1.18)
and more info from
	http://domsch.com/linux/

I would try to build a new kernel with proper patch and everything
nececary built-in, add it to lilo and see if it works.

> Yeah, the "new" PERCs are Adaptec cards, not AMI MegaRAIDs.  When I last cared
> (like a year ago) the Adaptec driver was only available as a binary module for a
> particular RedHat kernel.  I don't know what the current status of the driver is.

The adaptec chip works fine now.  You can find both prepatched
install-disks and the patch for (at least almost) the latest kernels.

// Emil