Re: Some routing advice (connecting through SSH)

On Fri, 2001-10-26 at 13:16, Dan Christensen wrote:
> Dan Christensen <jdc@uwo.ca> writes:
>
> > Hans Ekbrand <hans@sociologi.cjb.net> writes:

> > [web traffic]
> >
> >> Another way of doing it, a bit more unsecure maybe, would be to
> >> install a proxyserver on R and only accept connections from H.
> >
> > Yes.  For example, just install junkbuster or webwasher on R,
> > and set your browser on H to use R as a proxy.  I've done this
> > (for the same reasons as the original poster) several times.
>
> I should have said that this can be combined with ssh port
> forwarding.  You have ssh forward H:1234 to R:5678, run a
> proxy on R listening on 5678, and set your browser to use
> H:1234 as a proxy.

Thanks Dan. I'm beginning to understand this all now.

Here are three very good pieces of information:

http://www.webtechniques.com/archives/2000/09/webm/

In particular the "Port Forwarding" section.

And these two answers:

http://plaguesplace.dyndns.org/proxy-elites-faq/x89.html
http://plaguesplace.dyndns.org/proxy-elites-faq/x97.html

A Debian package search using apt-cache search has turned up this
excellent choice of proxy server:

tinyproxy

proxy

 An anonymizing http proxy which is very light on system resources,
 ideal for smaller networks and similar situations where other proxies
 (such as Squid) may be overkill and/or a security risk. Tinyproxy can
 also be configured to anonymize http requests (allowing for exceptions
 on a per-header basis).

OK I think I understand this now. I install tinyproxy and configure it
to a port (I've set it up securely so that only localhost can access the
proxy). I then use ssh -L to tunnel the proxy traffic to my home
machine. And I set up my web browser to access the appropriate localhost
port (when I want to be able to access the appropriate resources).

Using Lynx I have been able to verify that the proxy is working (by
setting the http_proxy environment variable). I haven't worked out the
correct format of ssh -L yet, but I'm sure I'll figure that out.

I'm very pleased with this solution. It appears to be extremely secure.

Thanks all,
Adam