Re: [Fwd: Re: What's apt-get doing to me?]

I don't know if you'll want to or not, but the Progeny archive/source tree had X-4 something. That is where I got mine from, but only on my Progeny laptop. With Progeny shutting down
the Linux Distro, I don't know if you can still get it.

At 09:01 PM 10/25/01, Peter Hutnick wrote:
> You clearly have the latest version installed. Perhaps you also have legacy
> version?

It turns out that unstable uses the 3.3.6 xservers(?) See
http://packages.debian.org/cgi-bin/search_packages.pl?keywords=xserver&searchon=names&subword=1&version=unstable&release=all
to see what I am talking about

> Do this:
>
> dpkg -l xfree*
>
> +++-==============-==============-============================================
> ii  xfree86-common 4.1.0-8        X Window System (XFree86) infrastructure

This is what I have.  (Well, this and some CD player.

> I only have the latest version installed. If you have more you could remove
> (and/or purge) them:
>
> apt-get remove --purge <package name>
>
> NB: Purging removes that package's configuration files.
>
> If you can't boot into X any more you'll know for sure that KDE was running
> 3.3.6-11 :-)
>
> If so it might help fully reinstalling (a) or reconfiguring (b) the lastest
> packages:
>
> (a) apt-get remove --purge <package name>
>    apt-get install <package name>
>
> or (b) dpkg-reconfigure <package name>

Yeah, except that I figured "hey, if I just don't do purge, I can keep using my config file" then I did it and my XF86Conf was overwritten by a non-working one.

Anyway, try doing "startx 2> logfile" and take a look at the first line. Betcha
your surprised if you were expecting 4.something.

So, does anyone know a way to /actually/ get XFree 4 out of the apt system?

-Peter