Re: [Fwd: Re: What's apt-get doing to me?]

On Fri, 2001-10-26 at 11:16, Peter Hutnick wrote:

> >>But KDE clearly (?) states I am running 3.3.6-11, which is the stable
> >>package, AFAIK.

> > You have it pointing to all 3 different flavors of Debian. Comment out  the
> > others, leave unstable uncommented, run apt-get update, and try again.

Won't matter in the slighest (apt-get always installs the latest version
number available). Just leave all the flavours in.

You clearly have the latest version installed. Perhaps you also have
legacy version?

Do this:

dpkg -l xfree*

ii  xfree86-common 4.1.0-8        X Window System (XFree86) infrastructure

I only have the latest version installed. If you have more you could
remove (and/or purge) them:

apt-get remove --purge <package name>

NB: Purging removes that package's configuration files.

If you can't boot into X any more you'll know for sure that KDE was
running 3.3.6-11 :-)

If so it might help fully reinstalling (a) or reconfiguring (b) the
lastest packages:

(a) apt-get remove --purge <package name>
    apt-get install <package name>

or (b) dpkg-reconfigure <package name>

man apt-get
man dpkg-reconfigure

       dpkg-reconfigure reconfigures packages after they have
       already been installed. Pass it the names of a package or
       packages to reconfigure.

       This has the same effect as re-installing the package,
       basically.

Regards,
Adam