Re: encrypted filesystem

On Fri, 2001-10-26 at 11:26, Gabor Gludovatz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> does someone know of a sulution which I could use to encrypt a filesystem
> transparently? I want my data to be encoded on the disk and I'd like to
> mount it at the same time, and access+modify it.
>
> In the good old times there was a patch, the kerneli patch, with which I
> could encrypt any filesystem, but now I need something for the 2.4.x
> kernels and as of yet I haven't found anything :(

http://mail.nl.linux.org/linux-crypto/

You have two basic choices: Crypto patch for 2.4 or Jari Ruusu's
loop-AES. Loop-AES can be used without patching a kernel--but it must be
compiled without loopback support. Instead utils-linux is patched so
mount, umount and losetup have AES support.

Most of the kernel patch problems may have been overcome. I don't think
Jari's approach has ever caused data corruption. If you read through the
archives you'll be up to speed with developments. I understand that
sometimes if you upgrade your kernel to 2.4 with the International patch
you can't access a volume generated with a 2.2 kernel! At the time I
read that a solution had not been found.

Regards,
Adam