Re: Emacs21 on Stable - any joy.

On Wed, Oct 24, 2001 at 11:01:00PM -0200, Jeronimo Pellegrini wrote:
> > Built it last night, the install uses texinfo 4.0b which you can build
> > from the unstable sources, it also depends on dpkg 1.9.17 from unstable
> > which  you can just build from the unstable sources again, the install
> > for dpkg 1.9.17 will also need debiandoc-sgml (version from stable OK)
> > installed and sysinitv 2.83 which build OK from the unstable sources
>
> Is it ok to replace sysvinit with the one in sid? Wouldn't it break
> something, even if it builds ok? (I'm asking because this is the reason
> I didn't finish compiling dpkg 1.9.17 on a potato box).
>
> If that's ok, I'll go on and do it!
>
> (BTW, I installed Emacs21 on potato, with the dpkg that's i npotato. The
> onlyproblem is that when installing the info files, it needs one option
> that dpkg will not recognize - but if you don't need the info files,
> that works nicely, as far as I could see!)
>
> J.

It shouldn't (and hasn't on my box), it still the same program and the
boot scripts havn't changed enough between potato and sid to make them
unworkable, BTW the info page install problem is caused by an old version
of texinfo not dpkg so if you still want to keep potato dpkg you can, just
build sid texinfo to get the info pages ( and what would the self documenting
text editor and kitchen sink be without them :)

Cheers

Joel