Apt preferences (was Re: apt question)

  I asked myself the questions: How do I add the occasional unstable
  package to my testing system in a better way than downloading debs
  and using dpkg to install them? How do I track packages in testing
  that I originally got out of unstable? Finally, and less often, how
  do I track a particular package in unstable?

  I searched the archives, discovered preferences, and read the
  apt-preferences man page. I came up with this:

    Package: *
    Pin: release a=testing
    Pin-Priority: 600

    Package: *
    Pin: release a=unstable
    Pin-Priority: 80

    Package: netsaint
    Pin: release a=unstable
    Pin-Priority: 601

  I learned that I could install an unstable package by appending
  /unstable to the package name, like this:

    apt-get install netsaint/unstable

  From then on, apt-get update/upgrade should do the Right Thing.
  Right? Does this configuration answer my questions above?

  The apt-preferences man page is baffling. It definitely needs
  examples (like the one above). It needs better explanations. For
  example, Joey once included this preferences file:

> Package: *
> Pin: release a=testing
> Pin-Priority: 900
>
> Package: *
> Pin: release o=Debian
> Pin-Priority: -10

  Even after pouring over the apt-preferences man page a few times, I
  have no idea what is meant by the second stanza.

  Examples should be added to /usr/share/doc/apt as well.

Maintainer of comp.mail.mh FAQ and mh-e. Vote Libertarian!