Re: Some routing advice (connecting through SSH)

On Fri, 2001-10-26 at 01:04, George Karaolides wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I need a bit more info. to start thinking about your question.

I'm still up, barely :-)

> How do you connect from H to R?  Through the Internet?

Yes.

> If so, does your Internet connection (that you use to connect H to the Internet) have a
> static IP address or a dynamic one?

Static, permanent connection.

> Another point:  It seems to me as if you'll be trying to use a
> server hosted at an ISP as a masquerading gateway for your home LAN.

Hey, hold on a minute! You're _way_ off base. What? Server hosted at an
ISP? No!

> You
> may well be able to do it, and the ISP may well not catch you at it,
> for a while anyway, but if the ISP sees this as violating the service
> agreement they have with whoever they're hosting the server for (you?) and
> they do find out, you are in for trouble.

For what? I won't be in trouble for anything. Please don't jump to
conclusions. If I was trying to do something naughty I wouldn't be using
my real name (and please note that I use my real name in _all_ my
communications).

Thanks anyway for being concerned. I only want to implement a very
limited system for only specific browser traffic so I can perform
searches on databases accessible at my Institution from my home computer
(just like having a remote desktop, but as I say I'd like it to be more
efficient). And I discussed it with my Department's computer support
(his suggestion was to tunnel X through SSH). Even though I've never
done that before I'd like to try and do it more efficiently (and also
work more productively--If you go to save a document on a remote desktop
it has only been saved to that computer. Then I'd need to use something
like sftp to download it to my computer. Much better if I could operate
as if I was at that machine).

> The traffic won't be difficult
> to spot; servers are expected to be serving out a lot of stuff, not to
> have a lot of incoming traffic.

Did I say there would be a lot of traffic or did I specifically say "for
just some chosen traffic"? My Institution will be able to see all
traffic going to my "R" computer. I would be very foolish to route
personal traffic through my Institution's network.

Regards and good night,
Adam