Re: deb files maintenance - Dependency overview

On Wed, 2001-10-24 at 14:58, list1@centerbox.com wrote:
> Hello all.
>
> My debian distribution grew kinda big 1.2G. I know I'm not using a lot of
> what I have installed. Now, due to a number of interdependecies I would like
> to look at dependency tree of all deb files and pick out those branches that
> I don't use and uninstall.
>
> Any recomendations on what program can help me ?
>
> I'm looking something similar to package manager from KDE.

I just went through that process.  Aptitude worked well for manually
tracing dependencies; as an example, type '/libqt2' (no quotes), hit
enter (which will find the libqt2 package), then down arrow to 'packages
depending on libqt2', hit enter again, and there's a list of everything
that depends libqt2. Arrow down to a package in that list, hit enter
again, arrow down to 'packages depending..', hit enter, and there's some
indirect dependencies. Took me a long afternoon, but I cleared a lot of
unused/unwanted stuff this way. Also found some other things to install,
so I didn't clear as much space as I'd hoped :)

--
first impressions are bunk (unknown)