Re: Failing installing kernel-image-2.4.10 under woody

In article <[🔎] 20011024153711.A483@dada.it> vdemart@supereva.it writes:
>Hi Blars,
>as a matter of fact it was dselect under woody to automatically select and install the package modutils-2.4.10-3 when I asked for kernel-2.4.10.
>So, do you mean that there's something wrong under debian woody?
>
>Vittorio
>
>Blars Blarson [debian-user] <24/10/01 02:01 -0700>:
>> In article <[🔎] 20011024104341.A1808@dada.it> vdemart@supereva.it writes:
>> >depmod: Unexpected value (20) in '/lib/modules/2.4.10-586/kernel/drivers/ieee1394/sbp2.o' for ieee1394_device_size
>> >	It is likely that the kernel structure has changed, if so then
>> >	you probably need a new version of modutils to handle this kernel.
>>
>> Like the messages says, that kernel isn't compatable with the modutils
>> you have installed.  You need an older version of modutils :-( I think
>> modutils 2.4.8-1 will work (it does with kernel 2.4.9).  I've got a
>> copy available on
>> http://bleep.blars.org/debian/dists/testing/main/binary-i386/base/modutils_2.4.8-1.deb
>> (It's no longer in testing.)

Yes, occasional bugs do make it to the testing release.  If you want
stable, you know where to find it.

What I find irritating about this particular bug (and the X quote
problem) is that it was reported in unstable, and only made it to
testing because the package maintainer lowered the priority of the
bug.  See the bug tracking system for details.

I think this is fixed in kernel 2.4.12, which also has security fixes,
so the bug shouldn't stay around to haunt woody when it becomes
stable.
--
Blars Blarson 					blarson@blars.org
				http://www.blars.org/blars.html