Re: What happens when Woody becomes Stable ??

On 24-Oct-2001 Brian Nelson wrote:
> DashepDS@netscape.net (David Shepherd) writes:
>
> Please wrap your lines at ~72 columns.
>
>> I haven't been using Debian long enough to experience a full new
>> release.
>>
>> Currently I'm running 2.2r3 and my apt-sources point to 'stable'.
>>
>> When Woody is released as 3.0 and becomes Stable do I just so a
>> "apt-get dist-upgrade"?
>
> Yup.

technically, apt-get upgrade will work.  dist-upgrade has a few more rules in
it to make large upgrades go smoothly.

>> Or do I need to do some kind of reinstall?
>
> Nope.

There have been Debian machines that have been updated for 5 years.  In fact
the joke among us Debian developers is that our installer is so bad because
most of us only see it once.

>> It would be cool if apt could handle it all.
>>
>> Also what happens if I choose to stay with 2.2r3, do I change
>> apt-sources to point to 'potato'?

yes.  However we eventually move old releases to an archive and stop updating
them.  Once woody becomes stable potato will likely change very little if at
all.