Re: Messages being frozen with exim.

On Tue, Oct 23, 2001 at 04:50:10PM -0400, Tommy Moore wrote:
> Lately in my log file for exim I see a bunch of messages that certain mail
> messages are being frozen.
> Where should I look to see the reason for this nd how do I unfreeze them?

The command mailq will show you what messages are frozen:

rpds:/home/cyberess# mailq

11d  3.4K 15sIjN-0005OC-00 <> *** frozen ***
          updates@funklix.com

9d  3.1K 15t0JI-0007z8-00 <> *** frozen ***
	             updates@funklix.com

The first thing on the line (here it's 11d) is how long the message has been
waiting to be delivered (11d = 11 days).
You can check what's going on by looking in the /var/spool/exim/msglog
directory - it contains one file for each message waiting to be delivered
with reasons why it hasn't been yet.

You can tell exim try a frozen message again by doing

exim -M 15sIjN-0005OC-00

(get the message ID from the mailq list or /var/spool/exim/msglog) or you
 can retry all frozen messages by doing

exim -qff

Note - before you do that, you should probably have a look at the messages
(in /var/spool/exim/input - there's two files for each message) and cancel
any that you don't want delivered any more. The command is:

exim -Mg 15sIjN-0005OC-00

(just the message ID - leave off the -H or -D). You'll get an e-mail saying
the message was cancelled.

HTH.

Sam
--