Re: using bootcd with usb cdrw drive

On Tue, Oct 23, 2001 at 10:43:33PM +0200, Debian User Jean-Baptiste Note wrote:
> Just to know, have you devfs compiled in the kernel and mounted at boot ?
> are you sure the entry /dev/scd0 exists at boot-time ?
> what is the error message ? (i guess it's can't mount root fs on device
> XX:XX -> those numbers have a meaning you should try to interpret)

Ok, here are what I believe to be the relevant parts of the error message
(copied onto and off of paper by hand, so possibly with typoes):

VFS: Cannot open root device "scd0" or 0b:00
Please append a correct "root=" boot option.
Kernel panic:  unable to mount root fs on 0b:00

I checked in my /dev, and 0b:00 (11,0) are the major and minor device
numbers of scd0, as explaned by dman.

Earlier I got the messages (in the normal boot sequences):

Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
usb.c: registered new driver usb-storage
USB Mass Storage registered.

I take it this means that the mass storage driver has started up.

I'm thinking that maybe this error comes about because the usb mass storage
driver is pretending to be SCSI, and maybe that connection between the scsi
and the USB has not yet been made, or maybe it hasn't yet scanned the USB
port and registered the devices?

Any more hints or ideas as to how to fix this would be greatly appreciated.

David.