Irvine Russell wrote:
> Thanks to nate and jerome.
>
> I followed your suggestions and have
> another problem.
>
> When I:
>
>   apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.9-386
>
> I get the following (I haven't include
> the whole text)
>
>   Sorry but the following packages have unmet
> dependencies:
>
>   kernel-image-2.4.9-386: Depends : initrd-tools
> (0>=0.1.6) but it is not going to be installed
>   E:Sorry, broken packages

You need to install initrd-tools. If your sources.list still includes
"deb http://people.debian.org/~bunk/debian potato main", "apt-get
install initrd-tools" should install initrd-tools-1.1.11

> I searched around the list a little and found
> someone with a similar problem who was told to
> create a file /etc/kernel-img.conf and add the
> line
>
>   do_initrd = Yes

I think doing this only suppresses a warning message about the kernel
being an initrd kernel when you try to install it. I don't have it in my /etc/kernel-img.

I use lilo to boot. To get kernel-image-2.4.9 to boot, I need to put the following in my lilo.conf:

image=/vmlinuz-2.4.9-386
	label=linux-2.4.9-386
	read-only
        initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.9-386

I'm not sure what you need to do if you use grub.

--
Jerome