method POST to php

I am having some difficulty finding what to do to fix this problem.  I
have Apache 1.3.9, PHP4 and Postgresql.  I am trying to POST to a php
document.  Then html form has <Form method="post"
action="validate.php">.  When I submit the information I get a 405
error, Method not Allowed.
I have the base installation for Apache from Debian stable dist.
Kernel 2.2.19pre17.

I can't figure out how to allow POST.  I can send my httpd.conf,
srm.conf and mime.types and access.conf if needed.  I am waiting for
Apache for Dummies to see if that will help.  I have read through a
couple of Apache server books looking for this particular problem
without any luck.  Other sites have FAQ about POST not allowed being
that the LIMIT tag needs to have GET and POST but this didn't help
either.

Thanks,
Michael
--