Re: Problems with exim and fetchmail (on woody)....

On Mon, 2001-10-22 at 17:36, Chris Concannon wrote:
> I'm running woody on my desktop machine and I'm running into problems
> trying to get email working. I want to get my email with fetchmail, read
> it with mutt, and send it with exim. I'm on a network link at my
> university and my IP address isn't going to change all year.
>
> Fetchmail and exim do not seem to want to play nicely together. To try
> and test my setup, I've been sending emails from Mozilla 0.9.5 (what I
> am writing this in right now) from my university address to another
> address I have at a hosting provider. Fetchmail seems to download it
> just fine. It is flushing the message and reporting something along the
> lines of "<rubicant@localhost> is valid syntax" before passing it to the
> SMTP server. The actual address is rubicant@mx1.pair.com, and as you'll
> see, I think I have my /etc/email-addresses file setup to properly
> understand this.

<snip>

> poll mail160.pair.com with proto IMAP
>        user 'rubicant' there is 'rubicant' here
>
> poll mail.rochester.edu with proto POP3
>        user 'cc004k' there is 'cc004k' here
>
> poll troi.cc.rochester.edu with proto POP3
>        user 'u3csc171' there is 'u3csc171' here
>
> poll mail.maine.rr.com with proto POP3
>        user 'jmc' there is 'jmc' here

<snip>

Do rubicant, cc004k, u3csc171, and jmc all exist as users?  If not you
are going to need either to change fetchmail to point to "you" in your
here directives or edit /etc/aliases to point all of these names to
yourself.  /etc/email-addresses is for outbound, alises is for inbound.

--mike