Best approach for transient NICs

Good day!

I know I can hack this together but I am looking
for the right (meaning balance of elegant, simple,
friendly to upgrades, etc.) way to do this:

I have a portable that can have 0, 1, or 2 NICs
installed depending on whether or not the PCMCIA
card is inserted and whether or not it is docked in
its port replicator.

When in the replicator, the PCMCIA card, if
if present should be ignored.  The replicator NIC
should be configured with a static IP address.

When not in the replicator, if the PCMCIA card
is inserted, the system should attempt to configure
the card via DHCP.

Any general or specific advice?

Thanks,

  -=greg