Re: Win4Lin .deb

Stephen E. Hargrove wrote:

i'm currently running win4lin v2.x with kernel 2.2.18.  i've recently
upgraded my kernel to 2.4.6, and find myself needing to upgrade to win4lin
3.0.  i've patched my kernel and all that good stuff.  however, when i run
the win4lin-install, it doesn't see my current win4lin installation (i.e.,
it's not letting me upgrade).

i've located and downloaded win4lin_5.2.7c-d-1_i386.deb, but i can't find
any information as to whether anything special is required prior to
installing this.  actually, i'm having trouble locating any information
regarding this package at all.

if anyone can provide some insight and guidance, i'd really appreciate it.

thanks.

On the win4lin mailing list, they said you would need to remove your installation of win4lin (but not your installation of windows) before being able to upgrade. This is a change that occurred when they went to the new two-patch system. IIRC, and I make no guarantees, you should first remove win4lin, then boot into a non-win4lin kernel. Then patch your new kernel and reboot into the win4lin kernel. Now you should be able to upgrade with the installer. They said this isn't always necessary, but is the safest bet. I can't find the message on their mailing list archives because their mailing list archives suck.

I would highly recommend that you subscribe to the win4lin user and announce mailing lists. Some people get upset if you post win4lin questions here too much. Also, there are plenty of people on the win4lin mailing list that are using debian.

	-Brian

--
Brian J. Stults
Department of Sociology