Re: Package configuration with /tmp mounted noexec

On Tue, Oct 23, 2001 at 02:37:23PM +1000, Andrew Pollock wrote:
> I've got /tmp mounted rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev because I think I read
> somewhere that that was a good way to go security-wise.
>
> It seems that some package related configuration stuff writes
> temporary scripts into /tmp, which then don't run because /tmp's
> mounted noexec

There's already been a bug filed about this and bounced around a few
places (eventually ending up with debconf), so if you're running
unstable then with any luck you should find that it's fixed soon.

> Should perhaps such scripts be placed elsewhere? /var/tmp? Is mounting
> /tmp noexec a bit pointless?

noexec is really just a sanity check anyway as far as interpreted
scripts are concerned. (Compare '/tmp/foo' with 'perl /tmp/foo'.) nodev
and nosuid are more useful.