Upgrade to Unstable

Just did the Unstable upgrade from Progeny:
# apt-get update
# dpkg --purge --force-deps libfreetype6
# apt-get -f dist-upgrade.

I bypassed the recommended shut down of PCMCIA for fear of losing
PCMCIA entirely and having to start all over again!

I presume that I need to reboot to see the results of Unstable?

Should I also do a kernel upgrade to 2.4.1.0-6 or some other version?
(I have read that that version was pretty stable.  What will play nice with
the Unstable I just upgraded to?)

I did get an error:

"Unpacking replacement libpanel-applet0 ...
/var/cache/apt/archives/gdm_2.2.4.1.-1_i386.deb
Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)"

Does this mean that GDM is going to fail to reboot properly?

Thanks!  Doc

> I have been using unstable for probably the last 6 months and I haven't
had a
> problem.  I do an apt-get upgrade every couple of weeks or so just for the
sake
> of it, even though I don't really need to.
>
> The reason it's called unstable is that the packages aren't guaranteed to
work
> together, or without problems - not that they are unstable.  So far for
me,
> everything has worked fine.  If you want the latest versions of software,
then
> I would say go to unstable - but only if you do have a fast connection.
Since