Re: riddle me this??

D. said:
> I was looking at updating a Potato 2.2.r3 running
> kernel 2.4.9 (from Bunks page) to Woody.  Following
> this list I have noticed all of the problems woth x
> font and the Xserver's.  I did a apt-get update
> pointing to the testing and then did a apt-get -u
> dist-upgrade and looked at the list of packages to be
> changed.

i find it easiest to bring the system to it's bare
minimum before upgrading. i usually remove something
like xfree86-common which removes all the X stuff on
the system, and upgrade, then reinstall the various
apps i need. installing key ones like gnome-terminal,
and kdm, kdebase which pulls a buncha stuff down all
at once, makes it easier. i've had happen a couple times
3.3.6 packages get left on the system when 4.x stuff
was installed ..don't remember if it caused any problems
or not.

also if your using a 3rd party apt source if it were
my system i would remove the 3rd party packages before
upgrading to woody. im sure you don't need to..but i would
if it were my machine :)

nate